Child Safety Seat – Safe Kids Worldwide
North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety partners with Safe Kids worldwide, Safe Kids of South Carolina and Safe Kids of Pee Dee/Coastal to provide certified child safety seat technicians to the residents of North Myrtle Beach and the immediate surrounding areas.
This instruction usually takes 20 to 30 minutes and can usually be done in the fire station closest to you. To ensure we have certified technicians available when you arrive, we ask that you schedule a time to meet with us.
There are a few things you should know before you meet with a Child Passenger Safety (CPS) technician. Working with a CPS technician will be a one-on-one learning experience. When you leave, you should be confident that your child’s seat is installed correctly and feel comfortable reinstalling it on your own.
Before the Car Seat Checkup
- Be prepared to learn, not just watch the CPS technician install the car seat. They’re trained to teach you.
- Try to schedule an appointment one to two months prior to your baby’s due date just in case you deliver early.
- If your child is already born, know your child’s weight and height, and bring your child with you. If possible, also bring another adult to help watch the child while you are learning.
- Install the seat in your vehicle before your car seat checkup appointment. Be sure to use the instructions that came with the child car seat and the instructions in your vehicle owner’s manual regarding car seats.
- Bring the car seat instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual with you to your appointment.
During the Car Seat Checkup
- This one-on-one education typically takes 20 to 30 minutes, depending on your car seat and vehicle. The technician will take all the time you need until you feel comfortable that your car seat is used and installed correctly.
- During the checkup, a CPS Technician will:
- Answer any questions you may have, so ask away
- Check the car seat for recalls, visible damage and an expiration date
- Discuss the next steps for each child, such as when to graduate to the next type of car seat
- Ensure that an appropriate seating position in the vehicle is being used
- Ensure that your car seat is appropriate for your child’s age, and size, and review factors affecting proper use
- Fill out a form to note a variety of information, including the car seat type, location in vehicle and misuse observations, if any
- Review the car seat instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual to ensure that both are being followed correctly.(Remember to bring the vehicle owner’s manual with you.)
- Watch you install the car seat(s) correctly using either the seat belt or LATCH system